On Tuesday, my fiance and I went to see Slumdog Millionaire, and I wanted to get a recommendation out to everyone to go out and watch it! It’s an independent film only playing in select theaters, but definitely worth the travel. The basic premise of the movie is a kid from the slums of India has made it onto the Indian version of “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire” and makes his way to the last question. The whole country is buzzing, and everyone questions how it could be possible…many assumptions of him cheating somehow to do it. Entangled within is a well written love story as well. The cinematography of it all is amazing, probably the best movie I’ve watched this year and quite possibly in my top 10. There is also such a great portrayal of life in the slums of India, the experiences they have, the living conditions, and the possible options that many have to choose as they grow. It’s especially challenging in light of the season we are in, as many of us can live so comfortably. So with that, go out and check it out! You can find out on the movie’s website to see which theaters near you are showing it.
Also, as we all know today is thanksgiving. I’ve just returned from church and was reminded just how great God is…there are so many things overlooked that we need to give thanks for, both individually and in our communities. I’d like to list a few…
– Life. Quite possibly the most overlooked for me. Everyday I wake to an undeserved gift and I need to constantly be reminded that it’s a bonus to be here, and I need to do my best to live it out right.
– Salvation. For over 10 years I’ve been trying to faithfully follow Christ, and though I fail many times, I’m completely indebted to the the gift of salvation I’ve received. Completely unearned, extremely undeserved.
– Family/Friends. How can we not be thankful for our loved ones around us? I think about some people’s and communities where if you hit hard times, you don’t have a place to really turn to. I am so lucky to have so many people who care and are willing to lend a helping hand no matter what the need is.
– Fiance. It’s been 2 and a half years of a blessed relationship, with about 9 months left before marriage. I’m thankful for such a strong support, and God’s provision in how we’ve met and where we are headed.
– Photography/Clients. I’m constantly amazed that I’m able to do what I love as “work”. And I’m so in awe that people are willing to financially support me in my endeavor to share with them a glimpse into my vision. This past year was great, and I feel like I’ve been able to give to and receive so much from this industry and all those who I’ve worked with – thanks for making it a joy for me to do this.
– You. It boggles my mind sometimes when I think about how many people read my blog and follow my work. It’s not as if you have any obligation to come here, yet you do time and time again, and I am extremely thankful. Your comments and words definitely encourage me to keep going. This blog is for you!
It’s definitely not an all-inclusive or exhausted list. But seriously, I just wanted to give thanks. Before heading off to 3 Thanksgiving dinners in 3 days, a black friday outing (should I bring my camera to document the madness?), an engagement ceremony, and a flag football matchup this weekend, I’ll end with a paraphrased quote I heard earlier today:
‘God has given me so much, yet I ask for one more thing: a grateful heart.’